View Single Post
      11-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #163
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Unfortunately, I have not found a suitable replacement for these elbows. That is a very high heat area. Even the BMW OEM parts degrade there. Also, the space constraint is very hard to work with.

I also have not seen any other visual solution from anyone else that will work, since it is important to make sure there is no pooling of oil. A regular silicon hose will fail much sooner there.

I was working on making nylon hoses, however, the darn guy quit the company. I also don't think there would be much more demand versus cost, since 335d is rare.

If you want to use a catch can system, the simplest solution is to replace the elbows. I believe I am close to 25,000 miles and 1.5 years and never changed my elbows. I am pushing them to see if and when they go.

There are other ways to install other catch can systems I have seen (ProVent, BMS, etc), but that requires cutting, destroying OEM parts and some even cause pooling; I prefer a clean stealthy look that does not require any modification to OEM parts.

You can use a 3/4 - 3/4 coupler. You can also use 1", but it will be very tight. These can be found at any auto store.

It would be great if someone came up with better elbows that are proven long term to heat stress, since the catch can set up seems to be doing a great job filtering the amount of oil and soot I see. I don't want to drive without one. I have it on since 57,000. Now I am 82,000+ miles.
UPGRADE:
I purchased brass fittings. I used the upper and lower portions of the OEM ribbed hose to connect to both ends of tract. I cut the black hoses that 135i_vs kit came with. The brass elbows were connected to the upper and lower pieces mentioned directly above. Both elbows were pointed forward. The black hoses were cut to non equal lengths and connected to elbows. More elbows installed onto non equal length hoses. The elbows are pointing inboard infront of where EGR cooler used to reside. By using non equal lengths, this lets the hoses align with the inlet and outlet of catch can.

Now for the trick I learned from Lexx. The hoses run between the engine and the upward large diameter turbo inlet (originally hoses had run between air box and large diameter turbo inlet and it was a very tight fit to run the hoses there). The offset hoses allow the two to be in the same plane now (side by side) where as before they were above and below. This was causing the can to twist and not sit vertically. Hopefully the pictures will make sense with what I've written. I also tie wrapped the can to my EGR cooler water bypass pipe to make sure it stays vertical.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-16-2015 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: always the spelling
Appreciate 0