06-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
I remember reading at least in a couple of places that it has been demonstrated that Seafoam and that line of cleansing products just doesn't get the job done. To the best of my knowledge walnut shell blasting is still the most effective and straight forward way to get it done.

Having said that, if you find something else that works just as well let me know -- I've been dragging my feet on this for awhile now. Starting to piece together what all I need to do it myself.
-The DIY valve cleaning using gun brushes and carb cleaner isnt too bad to tackle. I made a walnut shell blasting set-up as well but after pulling apart the intake and looking at the valves I decided to go with the cleaner/brushes. My valves werent that bad though... Maybe the meth really does help with build-up?
-I understand that the top engine cleaner probably will not remove an excessive amount of gunk but maybe it will help prevent it from building up when used at regular intervals? Maybe I should add some to my meth mixture as well...? It would act like a "detergent" and possibly help to keep the valve clean as well. Im going to see if I can find out what the volalitility rating is for the TEC and make sure it will not reduce the performance of the meth.