03-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
DIY of said bush fix??? May need. My spring is broken
I found a spring laying around my basement; 3 to 4 inches long and about a quarter inch in diameter and lots of coils. It easily stretched a couple of inches.

After removing the air snorkel and air filter box to get a little access (I did not loosen or remove the ERG Cooler) I threaded a small zip tie through the vacuum linkage on the EGR Cooler valve shaft with the broken spring as well as one end of the "auxiliary" spring. The other end of the "auxiliary" spring I zip tied laterally (due left looking at the cooler from the front of the car) to a rigid pipe/hose (I believe it is an AC hose but don't quote me). My "auxiliary" spring pulls the valve left to the closed position and the vacuum pot on the cooler pulls the valve right.

It was not real easy to thread the zip tie without removing the cooler but I was able to do it with help of a couple of hemostats I keep in my toolbox.

The fix has held up the last couple of weeks and I don't anticipate any problems. About the only thing that can happen would be the melting of the zip ties. It ain't pretty (although you cannot really see any of it with the air box back on) but it will get me through inspection.

Last edited by 335dwanted; 03-30-2018 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0