View Single Post
      03-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Wilt: Yes, switching out the RFTs was one of the first things I did like 8 years ago.

There are two comfort-related areas:

1. Impact-type shock: this is the issue of the tire hitting some roughness or a sharp crack, etc... and that then being transmitted to the driver. Switching tires helps this, for example.

2. Whole-car-body movement: this is what happens when there is a dip, speed bump, or such thing... the entire car body moves, and how much it moves (and therefore how much the driver feels) is largely dependent on the shocks and springs.

I'm taking about area #2... when you have shocks/springs that are stiff your neck get hammered when there is a sharp dip, speed bump, etc... because the suspension does very little to absorb that motion because it's trying to keep the car connected closely to the road. Which means your head gets closely connected to the road too.

I hope that helps to clarify! I want the car to be more comfortable in area #2, which means that when there is a sharp dip, the wheels & tires move up and down in the wheel well more, but the car body itself moves less (i.e., is LESS connected to the road, increasing driver comfort).

Last edited by Drivaar; 03-17-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0