07-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
There is a massive difference between the N47 and the B47 20d as well.

I'm a petrol fan, mainly because I have always gone with 6cyl diesels and by the time you get to them the difference in any cost savings vs petrol really is negligible. Talking 3% as an overall ownership cost.
I have had enough of the same car in diesel and petrol guise over the years to do the maths and it really is that small a difference.

However, having that discussion on Pistonheads 2 years ago everyone said "Well, if you want to save money you need to buy a 20d or similar."
I had gone from my 530d Touring into 306hp v6 3.5 litre E350 estate and was amazed at how well the modern petrol was performing, often 35mpg over the tank, average for 2 years was 31mpg, which was was about 4mpg behind the 530d (calculated not obc).

I decided to buy a 2015 euro 6 520d touring auto and go for the whole 'economy' thing, justifying having another car with the fact it would almost pay for itself with the incredible fuel savings and no ULEZ charge.
The reality was that over 15 months and 30000 miles it averaged 44mpg calculated (49 obc) and once again I was a little disappointed. But, and it is a big but, I really, really enjoyed the car.

Compared to the 530d it felt light, it was nicer to drive when having fun (I ended up with a tri channel tuning box from DTUK and rolling roaded it at 228hp) and most surprising was just how refined the b47 engine was. That was the biggest shock. It felt very close to the N57 I had.

We have had M47 and N47 engines over the years and they are pretty rough at times, but this was seriously impressive.

I actually sold my F11 recently as I picked up an another 320i E91 and also wanted to try an F31 320d ED to see if a diesel can properly save money. Plus I also have a Z4 Coupe for fun, a Z4 coupe and a 320d ED for the same money as the 520d made more sense than the 540i I was about to buy before lockdown. And pleased with that decision.

The 320d ED is pretty impressive, I often get nearly 70mpg from it, round town it never drops below 49mpg, on 16" wheels with non runflat tyres it is super comfy too. The only regret is I went manual. I think after nipping round in the 320i manual I got hoodwinked into thinking the diesel manual would be as nice, the reality is it is not. Heavier clutch, constantly swapping gears as only 2000rpm to play with, but it is fine.

I have nothing against diesels at all, but for me if going diesel a 4cyl makes more sense.

I really don't get whey people don't like the 320i either. That to me just feels so BMW.
I had E30 325i's etc. and it just reminds me of that. Lightweight, chuckable, not this massive load of power on tap, you have to work it a bit and when you do feels proper enjoyable.
Plus my N43 gets 38/39mpg over most tanks and closer to 50mpg on my London run.

It is a shame E30s have got so expensive, I think anyone who says they enjoy driving should have one of those for a few months, it really did change my thoughts on what makes a good truly enjoyable. I had the 535d Touring and M3 CSL at the time I bought the manual 325i and that little E30 taught me more about driving than any car I have owned.

I think we have a generation who forget BMW were about small light 4cyl cars and grew up when they went to the bigger straight six cars like the E34 and E39 and feel that is what BMW is about.
It is of course what BMW is about, but I think in the race for more and more effortless power we forgot that sometimes, having just enough can, in many ways, be more fun.

Thank you so much for your post. Appreciated. You have valid points whics tells we're on the same page. I am petrolhead ..my 740d is my first diesel in 25 years. Always had petrols : few AMGs, S500s. I made a mistake getting this 740 as I should have gone for a 750x i M Power. Different car , different planet. My C250cdi was a co car and it was good. Nippy and good mpg. I wanted a E90 no ideas why I just like them. Not fussy on power but need something decent within my figure. Audi is a 'hell no' area- got family working to Audi HO in Ingolstatd so I know. MB could be but high services. A Golf is what every wanna-be kiddo have and they're expensive. What's left? Nothing else really.
Saw this 325i this afternoon...i said no.
Going back to square 1
Appreciate 0