AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
you clearly have your awd colored glasses on as demonstrated by ridiculous response.

I live in snowy climate and I get by just fine with RWD. I also have another vehicle with awd. I'll argue Colorado gets more snow that Mass and that I have more experience driving both rwd and awd in low traction conditions than yourself.
Got it. Your snow is slipprier than mine, and that makes your opinion hold more merit.

Quote:
BMWs were traditionally rwd because it improves driving dynamics and steering feedback. You're blind or ignorant if you disagree. Every credible car magazine has stated so.
No. BMWs were traditionally RWD because there was no market or comparison for AWD passenger vehicles, 2WD vehicles have less moving parts which means less things to break and warranty, and are cheaper to build.

They started developing AWD in the 80s because of the obvious benefits and demand created by Audi's quattro system. When the market realized the better system, the suppliers began marketing to it.

Quote:
I'll wager I watch a hell of a lot more racing than you. I also watch motocross and road racing. I also auto-cross. Have you ever driven on a closed course?
Again, you watch MORE racing, so your racing opinion is more valid. While I have attended driving schools and driven on closed courses with and without instructors, your driving instructors were better, and my closed course was stupder than yours.

I watch mostly WRC and F1/Indy. Not a fan of watching motorcross. It's more fun to be behind the wheel.

Got any real justification for you opinions aside from your dad is better than my dad?

Quote:
Your response to the F1 statement shows just how much you know. F1 represents the pinnacle of road racing in terms of technology and driving dynamics. If awd would help them get around the course more quickly, they would certainly advocate and use awd technology.
Mid engine, RWD is the currently required drive format for F1. AWD is not allowed.

LeMans is exploring allowing AWD based on their new 2011 rules. Should be interesting.

I'm pretty sure the fastest production sedan lap time at Nurburgring is the 2011 STi (AWD) at 7'55". Faster than Porshe Panamera, and the CTS-V Caddy (RWD) who had the record before that. A lesser rally driver (Tommi Makkinen) set the record - on tarmac! imagine!

Quote:
We clearly have a difference of opinion. I see awd having it's place and I understand the drawbacks of awd in racing format as well as in every day use. That's why I own a second vehicle that has propulsion to all 4 wheels because I know the pros and cons. You appear to be blinded by the need to only justify awd superiority. I'm happy to continue this conversation i'll show you articles from C&D where they stated rwd is superior to awd for driving dyamics. PM me if you're interested.
Seems like most people dont' think AWD is a "drawback" in racing. You've yet to find anything saying that.

I read the rags. for the most part, I think they're simplistic bunk, but if that's your reference point, they pretty much unilaterally prefer AWD, apples to apples.

MotorTrend:

Quote:
No Grip, No Glory: One is the logical choice; one is for speed freaks; and the other is for those who find passion behind the wheel

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz19WlGGxAv
Here's a great one from Road & Track.

Quote:
Well, we were wrong on one front, right on the other. Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co..._drive_page_10
I remember a C&D article about tires talking about AWD. They mentioned that there's no substitute for winter rubber, even with AWD. As I've said here, I personally use winter rubber, and prefer it. If that's the one you're speaking of, I'm familiar with it.

All the obvious science aside proving 4 wheels of constantly adjusted power is better than 2 regardless of condition, all the racing evidence including AWD vehicles getting BANNED for being "unfair," the track times even given the relatively few AWD sports cars compared to simpler, cheaper to build 2WD formats - you just need to use some common sense.

Putting the powers to all wheels, including the steering wheels, is far better than not. The AWD establishes the best of both worlds. Hole shots are 90%+ RWD, cornering is infinitely variabe, and at very high speeds, it's 90%+ RWD.

You want just RWD. I want whatever's best for each circumstance, and each condition - which AWD like XDrive provides. I'll take the fully baked cake any day.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 12-29-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0