View Single Post
      12-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #71
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Got it. Your snow is slipprier than mine, and that makes your opinion hold more merit.
Your comment was accusing people of providing dangerous advice of rwd in the snow. Given that I live in a climate that gets considerably more snow than you and I own and drive both a rwd and awd vehicles in the snow on a more regular basis, I would say yes, my opinion regarding rwd handling in snow holds more weight than your occasional BMW XI driving in heavy snow that occurs only when there's a record snow storm in the east coast.

Quote:
No. BMWs were traditionally RWD because there was no market or comparison for AWD passenger vehicles, 2WD vehicles have less moving parts which means less things to break and warranty, and are cheaper to build.

They started developing AWD in the 80s because of the obvious benefits and demand created by Audi's quattro system. When the market realized the better system, the suppliers began marketing to it.
No. BMWs were traditionally rwd because it provides superior driving dynamics, which is the holy grail of BMW vehicles. They only offer a rudimentary awd system in response to market pressure, not because of the improvement in handling and dynamics that awd offers.

Quote:
Again, you watch MORE racing, so your racing opinion is more valid. While I have attended driving schools and driven on closed courses with and without instructors, your driving instructors were better, and my closed course was stupder than yours. I watch mostly WRC and F1/Indy. Not a fan of watching motorcross. It's more fun to be behind the wheel.

Got any real justification for you opinions aside from your dad is better than my dad?
My comments on watching road racing is in response to your question "Do you watch ANY kind of racing at all?" Or do you even remember asking that you in your previous posts? It has nothing to do with who's dad is better. Seriously, try to remember what questions you've asked.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the fastest production sedan lap time at Nurburgring is the 2011 STi (AWD) at 7'55". Faster than Porshe Panamera, and the CTS-V Caddy (RWD) who had the record before that. A lesser rally driver (Tommi Makkinen) set the record - on tarmac! imagine!

Seems like most people dont' think AWD is a "drawback" in racing. You've yet to find anything saying that.
Not sure what the fastest production Sedan lap time is, but there are several quicker times in production vehicles than 7:55, and the fastest time ever is 6:48 in a Radical SR8. Guess which drive system it has, awd or rwd? Yes, I get it's essentially a kit car and not a production sedan. But the point is they are using rwd when attempting to achieve ultimate performance in a race track environment.

Regarding F1, honest question...if it were legalized, do you really think any of the legit contenders are going to go with awd?

The mag quotes you provided are all nice and I can do a Google search too showing the benefits of rwd in racing, but I don't feel I need to prove my point any further. C&D has repeated said awd takes away some of bmw's driving dynamics due to the added weight while also decreasing fuel economy. I generally hold C&D as the bench mark for all the car mags. They recently did an article on the best handling car in America for under $100k. It was the Porsche boxter. Again, rwd, mid engine layout. Why didn't an awd vehicle beat it or at least make the short list for consideration?

It's been thoroughly documented that rwd is the preferred choice for auto racing and that is why anyone that is serious about it uses rwd. When I say serious, I don't mean a mass produced sedan marketed toward the general public.

I like awd as I stated previously and even own an awd vehicle. In fact, I even posted how nice it was when i had a 335 e92 x drive loaner last winter. But I think you're being a little short sighted by saying C&D and every poster here that recommend rwd with winter tires is providing bad and dangerous advice.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor

Last edited by DenverJayhawk; 12-29-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0