AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Your comment was accusing people of providing dangerous advice of rwd in the snow. Given that I live in a climate that gets considerably more snow than you and I own and drive both a rwd and awd vehicles in the snow on a more regular basis, I would say yes, my opinion regarding rwd handling in snow holds more weight than your occasional BMW XI driving in heavy snow that occurs only when there's a record snow storm in the east coast.
Got it.

Quote:
No. BMWs were traditionally rwd because it provides superior driving dynamics, which is the holy grail of BMW vehicles. [B]They only offer a rudimentary awd system in response to market pressure, not because of the improvement in handling and dynamics that awd offers.
Bolded text restates exactly what I said (after you said it wasn't true twice.)

If you think it was performance driven (after you agreed it wasn't. ) Prove it. Show me when BMW decided that they DIDN'T engage in R&D on an AWD system because it was determined inferior.

What a stupid discussion point.

Quote:
Not sure what the fastest production Sedan lap time is, but there are several quicker times in production vehicles than 7:55, and the fastest time ever is 6:48 in a Radical SR8. Guess which drive system it has, awd or rwd? Yes, I get it's essentially a kit car and not a production sedan. But the point is they are using rwd when attempting to achieve ultimate performance in a race track environment.
I know you're not sure. That's why I told you. As for referencing the Radical, how many supercars are we going to bring into the discussion until it's completely irrelevent (as if it's not already )

Quote:
Regarding F1, honest question...if it were legalized, do you really think any of the legit contenders are going to go with awd?
Porshe, Lambo and Audi no doubt. Their road race history and the success of AWD in road racing is hard to ignore, and they all have great platforms. So yes, I think those are legit contenders, and I think at least 2 of them would use an AWD variant (and it would be GLORIOUS!)

What are you dinosaurs in denial going to do when BMW releases an Xi option M3?

Quote:
The mag quotes you provided are all nice and I can do a Google search too showing the benefits of rwd in racing, but I don't feel I need to prove my point any further. C&D has repeated said awd takes away some of bmw's driving dynamics due to the added weight while also decreasing fuel economy. I generally hold C&D as the bench mark for all the car mags. They recently did an article on the best handling car in America for under $100k. It was the Porsche boxter. Again, rwd, mid engine layout. Why didn't an awd vehicle beat it or at least make the short list for consideration?
I'm not a magazine racer. You can have this stupid dicussion with a 9 year old, which is about the level of intelligence required to argue about C&D vs. R&T stats anyways. Buckle up, drive, then comment.

Quote:
It's been thoroughly documented that rwd is the preferred choice for auto racing and that is why anyone that is serious about it uses rwd. When I say serious, I don't mean a mass produced sedan marketed toward the general public.
Show me some documents. They sound interesting. I'll keep showing you the only time they've shared the track in modern racing, they banned the AWD after it swept 7 out of 7 championships.

Also, call Lambo and Bugatti. I'm sure they'd be interested to know that they're screwing up horribly because they missed the memo with those "documents"

Quote:
I like awd as I stated previously and even own an awd vehicle. In fact, I even posted how nice it was when i had a 335 e92 x drive loaner last winter. But I think you're being a little short sighted by saying C&D and every poster here that recommend rwd with winter tires is providing bad and dangerous advice.
It is. Telling someone to get into the worst driveline format available in snowy conditions so you can justify the fact that you get along "fine" with snow tires is irresponsible and dangerous. People are asking for honest advice about driving safely before spending $50,000, and that is bad advice. You're better off reccomending a FWD corrolla.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 12-29-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0