View Single Post
      12-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #83
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
It is. Telling someone to get into the worst driveline format available in snowy conditions so you can justify the fact that you get along "fine" with snow tires is irresponsible and dangerous. People are asking for honest advice about driving safely before spending $50,000, and that is bad advice. You're better off reccomending a FWD corrolla.
I have to agree with AWD Addict.

RWD+snows is not all about driving skill. Like I have mentioned and others have mentioned, there are simply uphill situations where a RWD+snow setup is not capable of going up the hill, no matter how talentedly you can put your foot on the accelerator.

Many people think that if they can get up a snowy hill with 8" of fresh fall, they're unstoppable. Sorry, snow is easy to drive in. Snow gives you plenty of traction. Try that same hill two hours later, after traffic has packed it down to an icy sheet, and the plows haven't come through yet. Heavy snow is not the true test of winter driving ability, it's packed glazed snow and ice.

RWD with snow tires may work for some - but it will not work well for all. If you live in flat terrain or where the roads are cleared pretty well, you may in fact get along just fine. If the conditions are challenging, your driving skills will be challenged because of the limitations of the equipment. If this helps to build your sense of machismo as a superior driver to everyone else, then I'm glad it helps you feel good about yourself.

Car enthusiasts brag about getting the best possible tires for maximal grip in the intended conditions. Why would anyone hesitate to endorse a mechanical system whose intent is to achieve the same goal? Sure, I understand that everyone makes the best with what they've purchased. But if someone is trying to research the topic to decide which route to go, putting RWD+snows at the top of the heap as completely capable is doing them a disservice.

AWD Addict is right about one more thing - FWD is absolutely a fantastic driveline for winter capability. I have a 1986 Shelby Omni GLHS that was my winter driver back in the early 90s. The car had NO weight in the back. That thing was absolutely unstoppable with snow tires, because 75% of the weight of the car came right down on those drive wheels.

- Chris
Appreciate 0