View Single Post
      07-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #525
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Yowza - a hot one out there yesterday at Thunderhill. The morning started off in the 80s and quickly reached the mid 90s by early afternoon.

I ran in the n00b-ish group as I don't have that many track events under my belt. I've been to Thunderhill a few times but don't track often. The pace wasn't too fast in our group. I didn't time myself but from "video timing" here's one of my runs without hitting traffic. Looks like ~2:22 or so? Way off the pace of a spec Miata. Just learning the ropes though so it's slow and steady. Just trying to be slow and smooth in the car is difficult as I'm used to autocrossing.

First few sessions I had no issues with overheating. From the session in the mid 90s I got a half engine light from oil temps right at the end of my 6th lap. The gauge read 295*F, I'm guessing I hit that 300*F threshold. Coolant temps were surprisingly well controlled for me. Never saw more than 110*C (230*F) in the secret menu which surprised me.

Here are details for Peter to add to the chart:

Driver: Chowbow
Track: Thunderhill CC - over cyclone
Transmission: MT
Driver level: Novice
Best lap: ~2:22
Spec Miata: 2:08
Ambient: 95*F
Oil cooler: stock with M3 air duct
Oil temp max: 295*F on gauges
Heater: Off
Coolant mix: ~25/75 coolant mix
Coolant max: 110*C / 230*F
Comments: Half engine light on dash from oil temp. Coolant temps remained controlled.

Last edited by Chowbow; 07-10-2011 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0