Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences, that is helpful and hopefully when you switch to non-run flats, you will see a big difference worth clapping for!

Interesting about your left ride heights and right ride heights. Even though the battery is in the trunk on the RHS, the front left should be 10mm+ higher than the front right, with nobody sitting in the car. Yes, when someone is sitting in the front left seat ONLY, the front left and right heights should be almost the same.

Did you also change the shocks at the rear?

My E92 measures 695mm front left and 683mm front right (driver side) so 12mm difference (with nobody in the car) and rear measures 655mm both sides (again, with nobody in the car and remembering from the top of my head). I would expect a E90 saloon to also have a similar pattern albeit with possibly different values as the coupe may ride at a different height.

Re. the Lemforder front shock mounts, I hadn't come across that before but it could be that the updated Lemforder mount (part number 27001 01) for E9x was a improved mount over the predecessor part which is now discontinued...

As others have suggested, the possible reason for your car sitting higher than before could be the worn old dampers most likely, so maybe its not something to worry about. However, I personally would check out for the ride height pattern: front left should be 10-13mm higher than front right and both rears should be almost identical and ~30mm lower than front right or ~ 40mm lower than front left, as a rough guide.
I already know how different the ride is going from RFTs to non-RFTs, so will eventually do that, but haven't really hated the ride with the RFTs on my 17" sets (both the standard set as in the pics and my style 188 narrow and wide set).

It's the first I hear of different ride heights left to right, especially in front, and it would make sense in my case if the right front or right in general was slightly higher since that's the driver side. Like I've said already, have had this car since mid 2010 and when looking back at pics taken through the years, ride height has always been the same, like the before pic in my original post, and never noticed an odd difference in left to right ride height. As for the measurements that I took when I spotted the 5mm difference, only thing I can think is that the suspension didn't settle back up after I had moved the car, I'm not a particularly heavy guy (88kg), so could just be the old shocks.

Yes, all four corners were replaced - struts and shocks. Thankfully my upper mounts were still in good shape, and should continue to be fine for many years to come, but if I ever need to replace, will definitely still consider Lemforder.

Appreciate 0