View Single Post
      07-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #6
23psi4age
Sim Simma
Rep
Drives: '17 330i Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post

Other than extreme circumstances, You are not going to pick up 10-20 HP by simply changing the IAT location. Hell, it takes a full tune, vanos, timing, fueling to pick up 15 HP on a stock motor /N52.

Living in Florida, I have a good understanding of heat soak. I went back and looked at some of my N52 Logs, I logged everything when I tuned that car. It seems like the recorded IATs recovered pretty quickly. I'm seeing a typical 7 degree C drop in about 6 seconds. Max values, stop and go Florida traffic are about 50 Degrees C, I don't think the IAT sensors ever reach the temperatures you mention.

Ya FI motors are different beasts, stop and go traffic in the hot summer sun, I actually think my N54 IATs are lower then the N52. Some of my N52 logs show 50+ degrees in stop and go traffic, but I rarely see over 40 with the N54. Build up a little boost and that changes.
I understand air density and closed loop a little lol. I didnt say you pick up 10-20HP, I said you would not lose 10-20HP due to heat soak. And in the very cold weather your car feels like it gained 10-20HP - due to air density.

I said "Granted it is only a small loss like 10-20HP, it is still a decline you can feel. Just like you can feel that same amount of 10-20HP gain when its freezing cold outside!"

The IAT relocate simply results in you maintianing your HP that the car was tuned for or the stock HP it came with. You said that you logged your N52 when tuning it and IAT values at stop and go were 50c which is 122f - so you are confounding the reality that the IAT is reading higher than ambient air temp because it is never 122f in Florida - which is what I was conveying in the original post. The air entering the engine is not 122f.

I said "data out there that shows the stock location MAF based IAT sensor reads temperatures from 25-55 higher than Ambient Air Temp"

Whats interesting about the IAT relocation is that most people who do it - says it works and most people who are saying it does not work - did not do it lol.

Anyways good info and insight my friend.