rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23psi4age View Post
I didn't say the air temp is changing by relocating the IAT. I actually said the air entering the engine changes temperature very little - and so the air entering the engine basically is the same as the ambient air temp. Your not reading what I said at all.

And there certainly is evidence that the MAF heat soaks...Read the post literally above yours - rjahl just stated that he logged 122f IAT readings in traffic in florida. The ambient air temperature in Florida is not 122f.

Whats interesting about the IAT relocation is that most people who do it - says it works and most people who are saying it does not work - did not do it lol.
Do you really believe that intake air pulled from beside a very hot radiator, run through a non insulated duct and into a plastic filter compartment will not pick up any heat from those surfaces? The question is not "if?", it's "how much?". As the recorded IATs dropped pretty quickly with increased combustion air volume, I really feel that IAT's at 10-20 degrees above ambient in those stop and go conditions is very reasonable. Apparently so did BMW, as they designed a very complicated engine management system that uses this data.

You need to fully research the DME before you can appreciate how much effort went into the "Engine performance Model". There are factors/tables for nearly everything and then correction factors for nearly all of them. There is no way BMW did not resolve or account for any inaccuracies in the primary sensors.
Appreciate 0