View Single Post
      01-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #200
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Trulucks @ Arboretum. Justine's Brasserie is good! I've been there a handful of times. I also tried Mettle about a month ago at the behest of a waitress at Siena, coincidentally enough (Mettle prides itself on its fried chicken).

Get the fried milk (at Uchiko)! Speaking of uchiko, I've been meaning to try out Paul Qui's (former chef de cuisine @ uchiko) new restaurant (Qui) ever since he won Top Chef. I've been putting it off because I hear the lines are extraordinarily long and Qui doesn't take many (or any?) reservations. It's all walk-in. I'm waiting for some of the post-top chef hype to die down in hopes of being seated within a reasonable time.

Uchiko/Uchi definitely rate among my top 5 as far as restaurants in Austin go.
If there is one thing I hate, it's hype. I turns me off to the point where I probably couldn't enjoy the food even if I was to be seated. I unfortunately don't do lines, which is why when I wanted to try Franklin's, I bought a ton of it over the phone so I could go pick it up and skip the line!

I think Uchi and Uchiko are fine restaurants, but I don't get the "big deal". I was at Uchi last month and although it was good, I am not jumping up and down once I leave the place. Same goes for Uchiko. Maybe I'm just not a big sushi person. Just the fact Paul Qui was on Top Chef is a turn off for me. I know I know... Terrible, but true. Give me Jeffrey's any day though!

Yes, the fried milk at Uchiko is great. I was there a few months ago and it was excellent. Just like the brussel sprouts were. I'll be eating it again tonight.
Appreciate 0