View Single Post
      02-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #26
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCale View Post
For the front drive shafts do I need to go through the entire process listed on Replacing output shafts + links to other necessary steps + the track rods, guide rods, wishbone bearing, etc or can I get away with removing the shocks/springs and raising them up to get the front axles out of the diff? Only have experience with RWD 3-series so the front half of the drive system is a new world to me
You don't have to fight removing the half shafts from spindles. You only need to disconnect the half shafts from the front differential, which just needs a pry bar, or actually a big flat screw driver and a hammer and gently tap it to pop out. Then you can disconnect the wishbone, control arm and tie-rod from spindle (or their corresponding end from subframe, up to you whichever works). Then remove the brake caliper hang on the shock spring. Loosen the shock pinch bolt and take out the whole spindle along with any wishbone, control arm if you removed the subframe sides of them, together with the axle (half-shaft) still on the spindle. Removing the brake rotors, and brake dust shield plates first is highly recommended, helps reduce the weight, and so helps with putting it back in.

I had replaced my oil-pan and some part of the work is removing axles out of the way, and that is what I did as summary. More detail:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211290

I highly suggest buying axle (half-shaft) seals that seal the differential (and oil pan on passenger side) to axles. The OEM axle seals come with C clips, and good to replace the one on the axle. Each time the axle is popped out this C clip gets a bit squished, making it not hold that firmly when popped back in.

You should buy the O-rings that seal the front differential to the oil pan, and the other side "pedestal" to oil pan. Maybe you already have those.

Added later: You may be able to leave the spindle on the shocks and move around the axles around, someone did a front differential swap that way, but with a little more work getting the spindles completely off (with the axles attached to them) will give you more freedom to work there.
Appreciate 0