Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Hey guys, I was just finishing this up and when I went to start the car the alternator or something in that area started smoking....so I turned the car off right away.... Any ideas?? I was careful not to spill coolant on it, however there was already some oil on its housing. Should I give it another attempt?
It's probably leftover spilt oil from the R&R procedure, unless you actually see a fresh oil leak. If you don't see any obvious leaks, it shouldn't harm the engine to run it; you need to in order to confirm if there is a MAJOR leak or not. Any minor leaks would be similar to any previous leaks in that it only causes annoyance and irritation with unsightly drips and mess which was the reason you replaced the gasket(s) in the first place. You may be disappointed it's happening again, but it's not a dead-lining condition.

After I replaced my gaskets, I power washed everything (covering all sensitive parts of course) and blow-dried everything before starting the car for the first time. This ensured that any burning or oil drops were fresh leaks.
So you reckon I didn't fry the alternator and that's what is causing the smoke? I put my hand near it and it felt a little warm... I only let it run for like 20 seconds before shutting it off really don't want to fork out for a new alternator

May I ask what you dried everything with?