11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
1. Why do people use smaller wheels during the winter opposed to summer? I've seen people use 19' during summer and then use like 17' and 18' during winter.

The smaller diameter helps prevent snow build-up in wheel wells and also prvides wheel protection on icy uneven roads. Also, the winter tire compound is softer and designed to maintain optimal grip in cold temps unlike summer tires that become stiff below 40-45 deg and losses their handling performance

2. What is the best winter tire available?

The best is subjective since there are studded and stud-less tires available. Generally in USA most folks use stud-less unless you live in an area is covered in snow and ice for months. I personally use Bridgestone LM-25 in PA. I believe they are winter performance tire optimized for dry winter road handling (stiffer sidewall + cold weather rubber compund).

3. Where can you buy them relatively cheap?

I would look for used sets on this forum for best value. If you are looking for a new set I would check out Tirerack. My tires are 225/45 R17 all around mounted on R17/7.5 wheels.
The overall diameter should be the same as your summer set up . Everyone recommends narrower tires.
Appreciate 0