06-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
the throttle butterfly shouldn't restrict anything, it should move freely and adjust itself according to what the ECU tells it too

I'm not sure if we aren't talking about different things, when it comes to restriction - I'm referring to the flow restriction caused buy whats inside the housing of the EGR pipe
The throttle flap is a necessary minor obstacle
I wouldn't try and remove that .... your cars behaviour will be erratic to say the least with that gone !?
we are talking about the same restriction (in the original egr ) but when I put the egr bypass part onto the car the ecu (for what ever reason) wants to turn the butterfly (when on tickover) to a very restricted angle staving the engine of air hence the idea to remove it.

Having read about this on other forums it does this to help the air flow from the exhaust gasses (they are no longer there as the exhaust part is now blocked off) regeneration for a DPF and also to help stop the engine once shut down so it doesnt shudder to a halt.

With the standard egr setup my car knows instantly when the vaccum pipe is removed (some people report no changes when doing this) & then if I block the pipe off with a screw knows it isnt connected to the egr so its not being fooled there. Anything I try makes the butterfly valve want to move towards a partially closed position at tickover. Revving it realeases the butterfly to fully open but at tickover the butterfly closes up restricting airflow creating a negative resposne that as someone said could be sucking up oil past the rings.

I just thought that removing the butterfly would stop any air restrictions ( air restrictions as in not being moved towards a closed position by the ecu) at tickover so the egr bypass could be fitted.

Even with the egr bypass fitted and the vacuum pipe attached to the original egr valve the car isnt fooled & restrics air flow through the butterfly.

hope this makes sense
Appreciate 0