View Single Post
      11-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Exclamation SHEARED bolt on Oil Filter Housing, Oil Leak? Indy sheared one of my bolts?!?!?

I had my Oil Filter Housing Gasket replaced by an indy under my extended warranty about 1 1/2 months ago. Since then I have been having some issues with my oil. I figured it was just burning quicker than normal. Made sure I was getting an accurate reading on the sensor and topped it off. Although today I had my 2nd +1qt warning. Did so, everything all groovy.

Decided to inspect the OFHG to see if there were any active leaks, and noticed that one of the Aluminum bolts was completely sheared. And there was oil pooling up further past, and what looks to be the head of the bolt. But I can barely see down there so I am not sure.

The last people to be inside my engine bay was the indy I went to. Is it possible they sheared it and never told me? Surely this can't happen on it's own. Additionally, is this the source of a leak? It would make sense considering if it was it would be a very slow leak.

Seems like a major issue and now kind of freaking out over it, a real bummer. How much money would I be paying for another indy to fix this? Do you think it's feasible to DIY? Thanks guys.

PICTURES:

Red Arrow is where the oil is pooling up and looks to be a bolt head inside.