11-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Fritzer, relax, just go back to your Indy (if you like him) and have him fix the headbolt under your extended warranty. It's a common problem with the N52. A good shop can just extract the broken bolt and replace it with a new headbolt. I'd make sure he's done one before; if he's a BMW Indy, I'm sure he's seen a car with it before.
You're right. Sorry, last night I was worn out and near delirious so my initial posts are filled with inaccuracies and don't necessarily make sense...

Your assessment is correct. Initially I was under the impression that they had removed those bolts for the VCG, for some reason it never occurred to me how far past the valve cover they were. I spoke to a mechanic at another independent shop and he said that specific head cylinder bolt is known to break, which Efthreeoh and others confirmed as well. There are additionally three more inside the valve cover that may brake, which has me worried but the VCG was just replaced so I don't know if I should check under there or not.

The mechanic I spoke to said he could tap it out and replace for $110-$165 depending. I wonder if that's a good price. Haven't talked to the original shop about what they would charge. I feel confident that I now know how simple of a job it is that I could do it myself, I might ask the mechanic if I could shadow him while doing it if acceptable so I can learn and have it be properly done.

Besides all that, it's pretty straight forward. Remove Engine Cover > Remove Intake Manifold > Extract/Replace Screw > Replace Manifold and Engine Cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd335i2007 View Post
First figure out cause of your leak. Then you can address next steps from there. Everyone on here is always so quick to mention legal action. It's part of owning cars, shit will break.
The leak has slowly been happening over the period of two months. Considering I located the head of the bolt sitting in a pool of oil I think that may be the culprit. I hope I'm not wrong. Going to check underneath when I do an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
That bolt is not being touched during the OFHG repair.

So not sure what leverage you will have.

Ask them for extraction and replace the broken bolt. Doesn't seem like its that big of a job.
Correct, I was misinformed. That bolt just sheared on it's own, which seems to do frequently on the N51/2 from accounts I've heard.