View Single Post
      10-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #18
djbooyah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Hey guys. I've gone through a fair number of BMW's over the last 10 years but have never delved into the diesels. My current daily driver is a manual E90 330xi and I've been very seriously looking at some 335d's over the last few weeks...which in turn has brought me back here to do some research.

In searching the forums here, I haven't found a decent thread (please feel free to link one here if I've missed it) that really gets into the FAQ's of E90 diesel ownership-specifically, problem areas, common issues, DIY's, general maintenance, etc. I have no doubt that this forum has covered all these topics individually, but since I honestly don't know what I'm looking for per se, searching for these things is tough.

So with all that being said, let me ask some questions that hopefully you guys "in the know" will take the time and have the patience to answer.

1) Other than the "normal" things to look for when considering buying a 335d, are there any 335d specific things that should be looked out for?

2) What are the most common issues people have had with these cars/engines?

3) Are these typical diesels in that they'll run "forever" with proper maintenance?

4) What DOES typical maintenance consist of?

And for anyone wondering, sport and cold weather packages are an absolute must. I have them now and would never want to do without them.

Any other general info that would be helpful for someone looking to get into an E90 diesel would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Hey mike hope i can answer a few questions about the 335d for u!

a few things i overlooked when i baught mine was the Check engine light, make sure u have a scan tool and if there are codes for the emmisions related stuff, such as Diesel Emmision Fluid, DPF regen codes, you should be fine buying it, just if there are codes for valves, boost pressure problems, stay away because the emmisilons stuff can easily be coded out by jarek (forum memeber) that works @ chiptuning.ca. Common issues besides those listed above are harmon ballancer, ac belt flying off, boost leaks thats about it the tranny is also one of those things im starting to pay more attention to @ around 100k. Also from my understanding these diesel engines properly maintained are like preformance cummins, so they will treat you as good as you treat it. Which means Synthetic Shell Rotella T6 for her every oil change ~7k. Typical maintenance is checking fluids, transmission change every 80K, using Disel Kleen to clean your Injectors and boost cetane, also cleaning out the airfilter when u get it & cabin filter. Hope i cohld help its my first post. So idk if i messed up anywhwre, happy shreddin
Appreciate 0