View Single Post
      10-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #26
indyn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad E92 View Post
I'm one of the victims of the rod bearing failure. I had JB4, intake, chargepipe and a dp. I'm still not sure what happened exactly but my theory is that when my belt slipped because of the OFHG leak, the belt was sucked into the front main which then sucked into the oil pickup tube and the engine lost oil pressure for a slight moment which caused 2 of my bearings to spin. Gonna do a tear down of the old engine but not anytime soon. Whole thing costed me $11k. I had no choice but to fix it because the car is financed. I cannot stress how important that $5 gasket is to fix. Huge design flaw by BMW to not put a blockplate behind the front main. I owned the car since 60k miles and who knows if the oil was changed regularly. Huge financial mistake by me to get one of these cars without an extended warranty from BMW.

Your rod bearing failure is caused by a serpentine belt that slipped because of OFGH leak. Nothing to do with actual engine defect of the N55 like the e9x series BMW M3.

I been running this car since 72k miles, at 106k miles, only replaced HFPF, OFGH gasket, oil pan gasket, coolant reservoir.
Preventive maintenance with Water pump and thermostat. Belt and pulley

Have Cobb PTF tune, catted dp, chargepipe and intercooler.

Used Factory OEM oil (not bad)
Castor 0W30 European formula - more chatter but revs nice.
Motul - Motor didn't like it
Liquid Moly 5w30 - The best

Recently fixed leak between DP and exhaust, tightened the DP bolt little more. Made a huge difference in terms of boost, rev and pick up.

N55 is a stout engine AFAIK. Gives amazing power and excellent gas mileage
Appreciate 0