View Single Post
      09-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

so to follow this one up, put it on the ramp again, this time weight on wheels, poked around and only thing i can feel is the lower control rods move slightly on their rubber bushings but only what i could call, normal movement for a rubber bushing, not play and thats being super picky.

when i bounded the car from under it by hanging on the roll bar and pulling down to bounce it, i heard a clunk from the right hand shock are (bear in mind it sounds like its from the left in the car, and its mostly when going over bumps on the left)

so took the car off the ramp and jacked up the front right wheel an inch, put a pry bar under the tyre and moved it up and down then. i can feel a bit of play i'm sure, and it looks like it may be top mount.

if i slide my hand up past the spring and onto the metal at the top and lever the wheel up and down i can feel movement up there, id say more so on the right and to a lesser extent on the left, BUT this is a rubber bushing with the bearing mounted in it isnt it so.....

but my gut feeling says it could be the top mounts as it just doesn't feel right.

i tried the 3 mounting bolts either side and they were tight, and popped the cap off and both big nuts had the same amount of thread showing.

i'm thinking change the top mounts and go from there, at 82k on what i think is the original its not too much of an issue.
was going to wait till 100K to treat my self to a BIRDs setup, just can stretch to that at the minute (unless it turns out the shock is tits)

going to go with the Lamforder brand as people say they seem to be OEM or close to.

would that cause my knock? i don't get clunking on steering when slow or stationary which would normally be knackered top mounts and springs are intact (checked again)

I'm happy to start working through suspension parts anyway as it has some miles on it.

oh i changed the roll bar bushes as they were worn and it did tighten the handling (febi brand) which was nice but didn't heal my knock.
Appreciate 0