Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
This thread is two years old
As Rob points out the reliability of his product has improved since the release of his classic range. People did have smoking problems, me inciuded.
Mine were posted back to Rob and rebuilt. Whole exercise left me out of pocket several thousand dollars for removal, shipping and reinstallation for no fault of my own so naturally people at the time were a little pissed. Especially given the turbos failed with only a few thousand Km on them. Wasn’t just one or two people either, it was more like 1 in 3 as hightlighted in this thread. While Rob did the right thing and repaired the units, people still had to stump up large out of pocket $$ to get their turbos fixed and understandably were pretty dirty. RB Turbo rep was dirt as a result. Throw on top this the blame was leveled at tunes, install problems or lack of oil change and other excuses was just an insult given the number and frequency of failures... This messy and unfortunate period for the N54 community is behind us and the world has moved on.

RIP
Socket,

You definitely got a real bum deal sir. I will try to give you some closure, however, as you are definitely (and rightly so) jaded over it all. The RB set you sent in for repair in later 2015 had a defective component, which is why we covered it under warranty and billed you $0 for the repair. It is unfortunate that we're not local to you and there was International shipping involved, labor costs, etc.- but we did hold our end of our warranty policy 100% and pretty sure it was literally no questions asked (on this set). You also may be aware, that the owner that you sold the repaired RB Classics to ran the turbos for the years onward and beat on them very hard and they never skipped a beat in his 1M- until eventually he recently popped his engine- and even yet is still is saying they are perfect and last we heard plans on reusing them. We know you ended up being talked into buying some turbos from another vendor, then ran into another failure and had to go through it all AGAIN, so with multiple issues with multiple vendors as said it was a bum deal for you. We are certain had you not dumped off the RB's, you'd had a much more "acceptable" experience when said and done- it just wasn't in the cards and we understand all things considered. Once again very long ago and lessons are learned, but it was a snapshot in time indeed and things progress of course.

Your issue aside and to the others, yes 2010-2014/2015 was literally in the stone age of turbo charging these vehicles. There was a bad deal for many parties but most over some considerable time; certainly not all as many still are running them TODAY. We are seeing returns pop up sporadically from this era these days as one would expect as time goes on. Not saying we built the turbos in the yesteryears as well as we do today (not by a large margin) but with the lessons learned over the years there were many things we mandate NOW that wasn't even a consideration then. Things like running high flow inlets (and outlets for RHD) on all upgrades, in some cases oil drains, recommended quality oils, mandate adjusting BOV correctly and using larger bungs; are all things WE as a community learned along the way. Make no mistake these things are all important and the later arrivers had that benefit on their side from day 1- we did not. In fact most of the late arrivers are JUST now passing the 2 year mark of production, which is where WE were in "2012". Even with all of the knowledge on their side from day 1, it'll be interesting to hear the feedback with their 2 more years to reach our "2014"- let alone our "2016" or "2018".

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 05-16-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 1