10-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #83
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
msinfo_us, Sorry to hear that your noise is back as well. Yes, my car was noise free for about 7mo.

Yeah, my service dept has been very cool to me every time I have had to go in for service, and I really appreciate that. Makes the whole process easier. What is irritating the hell out of me though is that a bunch of people seem to have this problem, and that it is recurring. I wish BMW would make sure that its suppliers can make a decent friggin part.

MonacoBimm, the noise in question is the result of faulty valve lifters. I've had them replaced once before, and I am worried that I will have to have them replaced once again.
Dropped my car at BMW yesterday and got call from service manager today. The good news they were able to hear ticking noise. So, they are working on a car then submitting info to BMW NA. Interesting how this system works: for this type of repairs all decisions are up to BMW NA it seems (according to service manager). The dealer service depo is only responsible to diagnose the problem than BMW NA makes all the decisions. Option with "new motor" came up a few times. It is not final yet but I am not sure how I feel about it at all. Last time I was assured that this is a minor thing, no effect on engine and kind of no biggy. All talks about staff on top of the engine and etc. Now it sounds like there is a possibility of replacing entire engine???? That does not sound to me as a minor repair .... rather like a major one, right? So, I can't help it but wonder why? Also, I don't know if I am comfortable with this idea at all. I mean new fr...ng engine!!! Is this car gonna run like new? Can even local service guys do the same quality work as BMW manufactory? Obviously, local shop does not have all the high tech staff like robots and etc, right? I am afraid that after such a drastic measure my car won't be the same and I'll end up a frequent quest to repair shop especially after the warranty is over. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0