12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #52
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSerge View Post
Would be interesting to see what f30 owners have to say. Can somebody post a link to this thread on f30Post? (Im on my phone app right now)

Edit: just posted myself.
OK, i'll bite.

As back ground, I am not a BMW fanboy. I typically like older models up until maybe the E39 M5, and then have been "meh" for most of what came after. I am also not a badge snab, usually just liking a car as a car and liking odd cars or underdogs(most of my tuning was done to a lightening blue Saab Viggen-that should say enough right there).

I had driven plenty of E9x cars. I thought a 2011 328x-drive would have been great for my wife.

It seemed about 10% smaller than we had liked, she said specifically she wished it had a small displacement turbo 4 like she had in her last Saab. I liked the engine note, something I loved about my S52(boosted).

My DD at the time was a very nice looking APR stage 2 VW CC 6mt sitting lowered on OEM 19's. Best looking car for the money, amazing interior and features for the price, and wow the fuel economy with high 13 second performance.

Warranty was running out, it's reliability was appalling.

Enter the F30.

I was on the fence when it came to looks.

Then I saw the M-Sport. Changed my whole opinion on that front.

Then there is Estoril Blue II. I have had a boner for this color since the late 90's. I was going to trade my Viggen for an E36 M3 in this color but wound up with the E36/7 instead. The M-Sport in EBII-pretty damn good looking.

Interior, I love the size. My friend yesterday commented that it felt small, especially compared to the CC. It's all what you are used too. E90 guys find it to be too big. This now feels just right to me. I really hope the 3 never gets bigger, but we shall see.

To me, the E90 controls and design was looking a small bit dated. I prefer the unshrouded I-drive in how it opens up the dash a bit, my wife said she wishes it was a bit more integrated like the E90. A happy medium would have been a bit better.

Quality is as high if not higher, though I dislike that the felt carpeting in the door panel is only on the inner side, leaving too much plastic exposed, the E90 was better here.

I have an N20 with 6mt. I love how this engine gets trashed. Once again, this is why I bought the car. It lacks any charisma when it comes to sound. This is true. I immediately linked up with Roque to use my car for development including a proper exhaust. Right off the bat on the dyno this N20 shows it makes so much more power than the N5x did. Honestly, I would think of the E9x 328 more of a woman's car, I modify my cars and where was I going to make real power with that engine. Here I was with a tunable FI motor from the factory and just put down 260lbs of tq to the wheels with a catback on a load bearing dyno. Factor in that beating on it for an entire tank and 12 dyno pulls I have yet to do worse than averaging 28.5mpg with highs approaching 40mpg. How is that not impressive? This engine has shown to provide mid 13's at 105mph with just a BMS stage 1 tune for $380. This car is going to net me 290-300whp with about $1000 in bolt ons. THe sound of the proper exhaust on the car went a long way. It does not make the same nice induction sound the straight 6 does, I know. But the sounds it does make are pleasing enough. If I want that classic sound, I step to the other side of the garage...headers, Supersprint, and 13psi of blower wine-yeah I am good.

Handling/steering...

I am not sold on the steering debate. The E90 to me was like a guy who shook your hand and went over board almost crushing your hand. The steering weight had an exaggerated sense to me. The steering in the F30 is a bit too light...press a button. Sport and Sport+ is far better, it's not E90 steering. Feedback, yeah it's a bit filtered compared to the E90, but it's not BAD.

Handling is quite good. There is a light on it's feet nature that I really appreciate. My car came with the SPORT suspension and proper staggered summer tires.

Many people are getting loaner F30's that are either base models or oddly optioned. This does not do much for the F30's case. I have had base non I drive E90's, that was not a fair way to judge them either.

Price...

The price is fine compared to the E90 when you compare option to option. In general I think the price is a bit high. You can easily spend $55k on a 328, that is nutso. My MSRP was $44k, I really think that is a bit much. My car had the BT fuck up so I used it to beat them down and take advantage to get almost $6k off my car. For that price, I am fairly smitten.

It's already being modded, I ordered Forgestar F14's in Gunmetal. It will get a slight drop. More goodies are in the works.

The F30 feels like a BMW, just as every iteration I have ever driven does dating back to the E36. Does it do some things better...yes. Somethings worse...yes. But a lot of it just comes down to preference or getting used to something being "different".

On the fence about the F30? That's normal as every new 3 series seems to do that. BUT. Drive the one closest to what you drive now. If you have an Sport suspension E90, only drive a Sport or M-Sport F30. If you have an N54/N55 E90, don't drive an N20 F30. Have summer tires, well don't go and drive an all season equipped car-BMW is trumping the MPG's of these cars and that's due to the super low rolling resistance tires that give horrible braking. The M-Sports have much grippier(higher dusting) pads and summer tires on staggered wheels as an option. Also make sure you select Sport or Sport+ on the drive. Then at least you are fairly judging if the F30 is worth owning.

There you go-there is my novel.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0