View Single Post
      01-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #57
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

I'm just being a post holiday new year lazy bum with busy regular work gig thrown in and 20* weather.

I did get 2 more sets of parts to get machined. Now have 7 sets for the machinist. 3 new and 4 used. The used pieces have no measurable wear. They are probably better as they have been heat cycled and hardened.

I still have to install version 3 mod and measure it out but I think that it will be version 2 that will get the nod, it has half the machining steps as version 3 and version 3 might add too much lift than I feel comfortable with.

To install this mod, the valve cover has to come off and I would reckon that a new valve cover gasket kit would be needed also.

It also needs a 1/4" drive external torx socket E8 and short extension, 22mm socket to turn the crank, and a 1/4" torque wrench.

On the N55 turbo to N52 head front, none of the manifold mounting bolt holes line up. The port spacing does line up and when the ports are lined up, all the bolt holes don't line up.

So new plan is to make a 3/4" adapter plate that will bolt to the N52 head with counter sunk socket head bolts and the stock N52 studs will then be screwed into the adapter plate at the N55 bolt locations and then the N55 turbo will bolt on.

Actually the 3/4" plate will add needed clearance for one webbing rib on the block and the block water fitting.

N55 Turbo--->N52 exhaust studs--Adapter Plate--counter sunk socket bolts<---N52 head.

Adapter plate also needs to adapt the different size of the exhaust ports. It worked out perfect using a piece of 1.625" 0.063" wall tubing as the OD is the same as the N52 and the ID is the same as the N55.

The first plate will be made in HDPE with alumn tubes because it is the easiest to work with for the mocking up.
Appreciate 2
Ruddigger694.00
David0ff1059.00