View Single Post
      05-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #555
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
All I can say is never trust dealerships: they are either full of equine excrement or are talking out of their but-tocks.
Yep, I got the same line you did when I asked. Guy said "You already have bluetooth!" I showed him I didn't. He said "well I guess you're out of luck." They don't tend to know a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooLBoYJc View Post
Just want to verify this since I had spoken to the dealership in Temple, TX about retrofitting bluetooth and they're saying it's not an option.

I have a 2011 335i with the following options:

0609 Navigation System
0620 Voice Control
0645 BMW US Radio
0693 Preparation BMW satellite radio
0697 Area Code 1 for DVD
06FL USB/Audio Interface
06UH Traffic Information
CIC RKO
ULF2_HI

Also, what else would I need to do in order to start using BMW Apps, etc?

Been searching google and the forums, but just looking for a definitive answer.

Dan
Luckily you've got one of the easiest/cheapest retrofit paths. You already have a microphone, and you already have a MULF (voice control and 6FL, respectively). As soon as you code option $644, you'll be able to pair a phone and place calls. From there, there are two bits to take care of. 1) the bluetooth connection will suck, because you need an antenna. It's probably fine to put it in the trunk. Basically, you want a 2.4GHz duck antenna (like you'd find on a wireless router - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-2dBi-...item2c7d120355) and a cable for it (SMB to whatever connector the antenna has, in the case of the one I linked RP-SMA, so for example, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-A-...item5404b7caf6) You could buy the official antenna from BMW, but you'd basically be burning $70 mostly needlessly, and the cable is tough to find.

Next bit is the microphone. In theory, some have had luck repinning a connector in the glovebox to reroute the mic from the CIC to the MULF, but that requires the wiring to already exist. In your case, I think it doesn't I've been making custom cables for people that plug into the MULF and mic, then you have to run that from the trunk, under the trunk liner, behind the back seat, through the drivers side scuff plates, through the dash, up the A pillar and through the headliner. It's easier than it sounds, but not trivial (the cable is part of the wiring harness if you're pre-wired for phone, but they stopped doing prewiring in all cars as of the beginning of 2009).

BMW Apps: That requires a combox. It's a very expensive retrofit.