View Single Post
      01-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Sirius Plug and Play Install

I decided to install satellite radio. The dealer wants about $900 for the BMW module that intergrates with the OEM stereo. I decided to go for the $49 Best Buy option.

As I do not like wires and cables, I decided to hard wire the unit in. The first thing I had to do was create a wiring harness from the adapter that was provided. This adapter steps down the vehicles voltage to 5V.

I hardwired the harness to the fuse box. The antenna was mounted on the rear deck secured by velro and the wire hidden in the molding or carpet seams.

The power wire, line in wire and antenna wire were all hidden. The antenna wire was run from the rear deck, down the drivers side, under the front seat rails, under the carpet up to the centre console. From the centre console, the antenna wire it was run along the transmission tunnel under the molding up to the area by the heater core, then down between the two vents (that supply air to the rear seats) to the ashtray. The wires have to be out of the way of the clips that fasten the console trim.

The wiring harness was run from the fuse box to the centre console area. There is a corner hole to run this wire through and keep it out of the way.

The line in wire was run up to the ashtray area, tucked under the molding on the left side of the shifter.

A hole was drilled in the ashtray and the 3 wires pulled up.

Some of you will comment that the wiring harness has electrical tape. I soldered the joints, used heat shrink and then to be extra anal, used electrical tape over the heat shrink.

If you notice two fuse taps in my fuse box it is because one runs my radar detector.

I love the fact that the display is big, the unit is portable to the house or summer cottage and there is a remote control.

If anyone has any questions or needs more pictures, I will post them as needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 01-21-2008 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0