View Single Post
      05-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #930
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

I actually have seen better gas mileage and remember give it some time to break in. The performance and mileage is only going to get better after a couple thousand miles so if you notice better performance now wait a few months. My car feels better than it did when it was new. It feels like a rocket and this is ocming from having a 335 recently.

What I love about this engine is that it pulls harder and harder up until redline where as the n54 engine pulls WAY hard down low and in the middle but then plummits as you approach redline so from 6-7k you just feels a dead zone and thus are better are shifting at 6. However I like reeling it out into the high RPMs for that sound and feel of pull. The n52 gives you the biggest strongest pull at 6850 and as soon as you hit that it shifts so you never feel a flat low spot. Hhowever bottom end is flatter than all flat and its lack of torque is really noticable on the low end so if you do not drive this car in the mid-high rpm range all the time, then you see the engine's flaws. If you keep it in the right rpm zone this engine is sweet.

Kind of like most M cars-they are made to drive and race therefore its the upper RPMs they make power. The n54 is a much more driveable car with power at the bottom.

anyway I am glad this problem is fixed and could not be happier, especially with 40k miles I landed a new engine in a car I own, cannot be happier than that.
Appreciate 0