03-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #1821
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
The reason I've asked is because I've heard other BMW engines have the same symptoms, and its making me rethink my paranoia. Test drove an E39 M5 having the same ticking issue that went away when it got warm.

I'll see if I can talk to my dealer about mine. I actually avoid short trips and haven't had the tick happen at all. I'll have to recreate it for the dealer. I don't have warranty though I'd like to see a 3rd party warranty company that can do the fix if it really proves to hurt the engine.

I have 44,XXX miles on my 06.
Another thought: I too have now been really listening to motors all around me, and I had a "visit" with my old Mazda protege the other day (still in the family) and, man, there are some rough sounding motors out there. The Mazdas and Toyotas in particular sound like diesels compared to my N52, even when ticking. So, I agree, maybe this is overblown. We e90post folks are pretty intense about our cars. BUT THEN AGAIN: As I just repeated in my post just above, as DL has stated, why would BMW go to all this trouble? Its just so suspicisous. Damnit, I just don't know what to think.
Appreciate 0