View Single Post
      08-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Sean978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT SGM

Camshaft Bearing Ledge failure - Who's had this?

Like the title states, I'm looking for some folks that have dealt with this.

I took a ride last weekend and out of nowhere after a 3rd gear pull, the car threw a litany of codes; 2a87, 2a98, 2a99, a couple other Vanos codes .... mutliple cylinder misfires (every cylinder), knock detection cylinder 2 .... some others that are escaping me right now and I dont have the list in front of me. Those were the pertinent ones. Immediately pulled over on the highway and turned off car. Tried clearing codes and restarting and the car clearly wasn't right. It stalled, and I got a tow home from that point.

From the limited amount of material I found to research i'm nearly convinced the bearing ledges are scored, and that cam timing jumped. I'm gearing up to move the car to our garage to start opening up the valve cover and seeing whats going on. My question is, for those of you have dealt with problem, how did you attack it??

ANY info before I start tearing her down would help. Thanks guys.

*Edit* should also mention I cleaned both Vanos Solenoids, which were dirty. On restart the idle calmed down to normal for about 3 minutes before shit hit the fan again and went back to sounding like and idling like dogshit.

Last edited by Sean978; 08-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Vanos.
Appreciate 0