Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
What year, typically ledge failure is in the 07s and 08s even though there are some claims for 09 and 10 too.
Its an 09. 103k nearly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
The bearing ledge is a known issue that can happen, though not often. Someone also wrote a diy on here.

Why not start by replacing both your solenoids and clearing adaptations before considering the most extreme possibility?
I cleared adaptations a bunch of times, should have mentioned that also. While I was on the highway waiting for the flatbed. Also before and after I cleaned the solenoids. In all honesty I want to replace the valve cover gasket before this had all happened so i'm going to have the valve cover off anyway, so i'm curious what it'd look like. Theres only a handful of pics from presumably the same motor that I could find. Seemed like a worst case scenario with an etched camshaft also...

The last time I started the car, after the vanos solenoids were cleaned, there was a distinct metal on metal sound and awful noise coming from the exhaust side of the valve cover.
At one point I was getting vanos codes. It ended up being the oil filter cap stem was missing. It has a oring on it that controls oil flow.
Appreciate 0