10-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i x-drive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Lowering with springs was a miserable experience for me. Perhaps it was the condition of the roads in my area but the vehicle became a lot less fun to drive. The suspension would bottom frequently, loudly and with spine-jarring thumps.

I solved this issue with the purchase of KW V1 coilovers, which not only allowed modest lowering but provided a ride that was both more controlled and more comfortable than the stock setup. You will find my experience was not unusual if you read the forums extensively on this subject.

I understand you budget is limited but I think you'll be happier and save money in the long run by spending more up front - unless your goal is prinicipally about how the car looks. I shopped around and paid about $1200 for my set (~5 years ago so current prices might be higher).
So I'm assuming your vehicle is an xdrive, correct? e92?

My knowledge on coilovers isn't too great. I'm still learning. Would the installation of coilovers require any other parts? Or is it as simple as get a set of coilovers and slap them on?

That being said, what would my options be?

Keep in mind this is going on a 328i DD, it doesn't see the track, never has &never will. So I'm not exactly worried about extreme performance or adjustability. If I can maintain the quality of the stock ride- I'm happy. That's why I was leaning more towards the lowering spring/ shock combo.
Appreciate 0