View Single Post
      11-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #39
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I just did this using the parts in the original post (the mSATA drive with mSATA to PATA adapter). I opted for the 128GB mSATA drive as I have no need for media storage.

I first thought I may be able to take the easy route and just use Acronis True Image to do a disk to disk clone (sector by sector it claimed).. This took 5 hours but didn't work - navigation was greyed out. I suspect this was due to how Windows handles things.

I then used Clonezilla (used Tuxboot to create a bootable USB drive with Clonezilla). I used Clonezilla's "drive to drive clone" feature, then selected "Custom/Advanced" (versus Easy mode) - where there was a screen with 15+ options to choose from. I unchecked everything, then ONLY checked "Sector by sector clone (inefficient but works with all file systems)". Left all other options at their defaults, it took a few hours to clone and sure enough it works perfect. I did not re-size the media partition as I have no need to do so.

Nice to have a non-spinning drive in there now. Moving around in the navigation maps is definitely quicker.
Appreciate 0