View Single Post
      08-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Unpleasant Renting Experience

Well I figured with the size of the forums here and the plethora of wisdom I've received on the M3 forum, there's bound to be some help for this situation as well. Here goes...

Cliff Notes:
Multiple big issues at apartment that heavily disrupt our living situation with no ultimate resolution other than "that's just the way it is." Hoping to find suggestions from others that have dealt with a similar problem and find out what can be done. Break lease? Have them pay to move us to another unit/different complex of theirs/or wherever we want to go within reason by cutting up our contract? What are our possibilities?

Story:
I sold my home a little bit back, and with the market going nuts and worthwhile inventory tough to come by, we decided to rent for a little bit with the intention of either building or buying come mid 2020 - early 2021. The original plan was to find a house still close to the lake, but we ultimately decided to pull the YOLO card and try "city life" to check a box on the bucket list. After searching for a while, we settled on a very large national rental corporation's apartment/townhouse type gig in north Atlanta with an attached garage, end unit, high ceilings, new appliances, etc. It really is the perfect setup for this time in our lives and have intended to stay here until it was time to replace rent with mortgage.

During our walk-through there were a few items that we made note of, but one that really caught my eye was obvious water damage to the ceiling of the garage being a full-blooded car guy. We asked questions with no real explanation as to why and assured us that it would be taken care of before we moved in late April of this year. Move in day came, and the ceiling still had missing and stained plaster. Now with everything that is life, I ultimately forgot about it and continued on. My M3 stays in the garage as a secondary car that I will bring out maybe once a week. I decided to take it out to work about a month into our lease with me coming home to plaster and drywall bits all over the garage floor from a collapse of the ceiling due to another obvious water leak. Thank God I actually took the car to work that day. The town home has an interesting layout in that there is a terrace level which is sandwiched between our garage and the living space. My "neighbor" has a bedroom directly above my garage and the leak originates from her unit. Leading up to this the A/C goes out in our apartment as well.

After two weeks of constant bitching (and leaving my car outside instead of in the garage which was a huge selling point for me), they finally "repair" the ceiling. It looks like absolute hell and is obvious that the bare minimum amount of time was spent on the fix.

Fast forward another month after this "fix", we decide to take the M3 to dinner and I get hit in the top of the head with water from the same damn spot. We call maintenance about the same issue (the A/C went out AGAIN during this period). Technician comes in the next morning and we talk things over. I'm left with that this problem is "normal" and that he "repairs ceilings like this on the same floor plan throughout the complex constantly." I ask what my expectations should be to which he responds "I will be in here to repair your ceiling throughout your lease." I'm floored. I'm seeing red. I immediately call corporate to give them the news and my ceiling is "repaired" in the next couple days in a much more professional, yet obvious there is still an issue, way.

I go down to the garage after work today to get a couple tools to fix a piece of furniture and there is a small puddle on the stairs and concrete floor with a drip coming from the same spot at the frequency of about a drop/minute. The ceiling as visibly separated itself from the framework and is on the verge of letting go. Let's go ahead and note that our A/C went out for two days since the last maintenance visit while we're on the subject. I call up corporate and calmly let them know that I am pissed and that this is unacceptable. With us being in this town home for only three full months + a couple weeks, we are averaging 2+ MAJOR failures a month with the technician informing us that the problem cannot be fixed and is "normal."

I'm about to lose my mind. I don't want to be here. I'm stuck in a lease through next summer. How do I approach this situation? I've got documented instances with the corporate office for over a month now with further maintenance requests at our local facility since we've lived here. Hell, my girlfriend said she found an online review from a previous resident (of an unknown unit) that complains how the ceiling in her garage fell on her car while she was there, too!

Obviously this issue throws a massive bend in our two year plan because the only other time I want to move is when we finish building our new house. But we can't continue to live in a situation that requires big repairs averaging TWICE A MONTH. Nor do I even know what ground I have to stand on to dispute our lease contract. I've never been in this type of situation before, but from what I can tell going through our lease, it protects the company, not us *surprise*.

Desperate and frustrated are understatements. I work pretty long hours at the office and find myself bringing it home often. I don't have time to play this game of ping-pong.

Thoughts?

-Tyler
Appreciate 0