View Single Post
      07-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #44
rooks335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
You cannot rewrite the ISN in the MSD80/MSD81, as they use an Infineon Tricore ECU, where the ISN is stored in a write once area of memory. The CAS uses an ancient series of Motorola CPUs, so you can just read and write the entire memory with many tools available off ebay/aliexpress. Typically the ISN from the donor DME will need to be written into your CAS, and your EGS will need to have the ISN written into it as well, otherwise the car will start but not go into gear. Not sure if this is achievable by just flashing it with ISTA/P or WinKFP, never had to do it myself.

EDIT:

Just spoke to someone who replaced the entire transmission from a donor car including new TCU it still works so might not apply to n54 and 6hp (this was on a N54 135i with dodgy transmission)
That's a relief! So the new donor TCU still works with old DME. Thanks for asking your mate VTL.

Have also removed the JB4 harness in anticipation of the arrival of the new DME.

Things left to do now is to find out how the valve on the DME box works by removing it from the car and pouring some water in and underneath the box.
Also considering drilling two holes in the chassis under the DME box to help drain out any fluids. The plastic wheel arch guards should prevent water from coming in under the car.
DME will also be engine gasket sealed too!
Appreciate 0