Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08' white/red 335i

Garage List
2008 e92 335i  [0.00]
CIC vs. CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Aside from finding the cables and acquiring CIC hardware, the biggest hurdle I see is actually programming this system, at least with BMW dealer-level equipment.

From my understanding, there will not be a way to program this system on the car unless BMW comes out with an official retrofit (software) package on the dealer systems. My fear is retrofitting this system, getting it all working with Autologic (or whatever means) and not being able to reprogram the car with conventional means (BMW SSS, or newest Gen system.) This would suck if some other module in the car died and you needed to update all modules/etc...

If the CIC could be programmed to the car, I'm sure assist/MULF would go along with that... that's the big "if." My bet is hooking it all up to the car and attempting to program it will fail based on incorrect part numbers installed in the car. It would sure be nice if BMW "quietly" allowed CIC part numbers to be programmed to the earlier gen E90's - then it likely wouldn't be a problem.
This is what I believe happened, myInfo is activated in Canada, and it seems as though the North American TCU's are capable of this functionality but not programmed to do so. As a computer engineer I know that the IT systems always evolve with the product, and from a business prospective it's always very not cost-effective to restructure your entire IT system. Around every ten years, you would have to overhaul your systems as new technologies evolve, though still you do your best to keep it as similar and compatible as possible with your old systems, that's just good practice.

In any case, I still don't understand the difference between a MULF and a TCU. If my NA TCU contains an AT&T sim chip, would switching that chip with a valid local chip allow my idrive to connect to bmw assist?? That's something I can test right away...

On the other hand, I read somewhere that you can update your iDrive software through the USB port, by storing the files in a flash disk on a particular folder path which the iDrive will recognize and automatically download and install. I couldn't find the site where I read that for the life of me, if only I could find it and get my hands on a newer version of the iDrive software?!?!? I think my car would probably be at the dealership right now....

Another thought is that there are these computers available for sale on the market, where you can connect to the ECU through the OBCD to read and re-flash anything into the car...wouldn't that be handy in our research on the subject on the table??

P.S. If some modules aren't compatible with the new CIC, which ones would they be?? Probably 2 or 3 small units I don't see the harm in replacing them too if we already retrofit %75 of the whole system.

08' 335i WHT/RED MT6
01' 323Ci TPZ BLU/GRY MT6
88' 750iL BLU/GRY
85' 745i Carbonite/Buffalo Turbo Injectors
Appreciate 0