View Single Post
      03-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Talking Calluhan's E92 335D | Restoring to Factory Fresh | NEW! Updated with new stuuuuf

Hi All

I bought my 1 owner FBMWSH 335D last October and I've been steadily restoring it to it's former glory.

This was how it looked when I bought it:

It was in good condition but had been used as a private company car so hadn't been looked after the way I would

So I set about a bit of instant preventative maintenance:

Out came the swirl flaps:

They were in poor condition so it was peace of mind removing them - and a very straight forward Job.

They had also been leaking:

Next was an EGR and Main Thermostat change:

The engine wasn't getting to temp so no DPF regenerations - this sorted the problem straight away along with a bottle of this:

Forte DPF cleaner simply works - cleared the DPF with a few clouds of black smoke and INPA showed exhaust pressure dropped right down after a good run.

Then an oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter change:

Impressed with the spec of the petronas oil for the price. Going to do 5000 mile changes but according to the blurb this is excellent low ash and soot formulation ideal for DPFs.

Next I replaced the gearbox sump/filter and oil and mechatronic sleeve with a genuine ZF kit.

Old sump - no bits on the magnets thankfully:

Mechatronic sleeve wasn't leaking but was part of the kit so I replaced anyway:

Along with new bolts:

Then it was time to improve the Alu trim:

To this:

With M stitched gaiters and an LCI style illuminated shifter:

Also fitted my TomTom 6000 using a proper mount:

Then it was time to refurbish the wheels. Only a few pics of these but took me a week, a few hours a day to do them. Preparation is key with these to get a good paint bond so no flaking:

Then it was time to replace that pesky red boost hose which had been leaking:

This was a bit of a pig of a job as space is tight - took the electric fan out for more access first:

Then the best thing I've done so far:

A DTUK CRD-t+ multi channel stage 2 tuning box.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago from Ebay - around half the retail price.

It replaced a single channel tuning box I had fitted and the difference is night and day. The grunt is simply amazing. It wants to spin the wheels in the first 3 gears and is so responsive. The torque is massive - 700Nm (more than the gearbox is rated for so Im careful) and 340Bhp.

I had an E39 M5 before and this feels almost as quick and much more nimble:

Finally, this evening I got around to resetting the gearbox adaptations in DIS/GT1 - should have done this months ago as changes are now so smooth in D and razor sharp in Sport mode - highly recommended.

Plenty more to come - stay tuned.......
Thanks for looking

Last edited by Calluhan; 05-02-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 4