03-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
LOL Blimey indeed Steve! I spanner fighter planes for a living so this isn't much of a challenge mate - I always research what I'm going to do first so few surprises thanks to sites like this (and posts like yours!) Trouble is, every time I get in to do something I always find a few other jobs to do - spent the entire day yesterday doing the boost hose because I found half a dozen other small jobs to do while I was in there. Still it was a beautiful day and my girl kept bringing me cups of tea! :-)

I had an idrive message about the DPF - bottle of Forte in the tank and message cleared. Did the thermostats the following week - so it works well as a short term fix.

The trans was straightforward with a digital spot thermometer and the ZF instructions - the old fluid was in need of replacement but not burnt.

Those flaps still had screws in them so not the latest sort - you can see that bits had come off them so I was well rid. Plus no leakage at all since. Happy days!
Interesting really what you have said about the flaps the later ones are more robust for sure but they still have issues therefore they are as you've rightly done being removed as they can break up due to carbonisation. Refreshing to hear your words on the subject but in the line of work I'm in I seethese every other day and the advise I give stands. Get them out. Preventions better than cure... as the cures a rebuild or replacement engine.