View Single Post
      07-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #21
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
UPDATE...
I did not find any metal shavings in the oil filter. I'm pretty embarrassed that it took me almost a half hour to remove the oil pan (missed three bolts purposely hidden by BMW engineers).

I did find two tiny metallic "slivers" in the residue of the oil pan. Next, I focused my efforts on removing the oil sump. Eventually, I noticed that the area over the oil sump where cylinder 5 happens to be looked like someone torched the plastic.

I didn't expect to start my failure analysis until the new motor was in the car but I figured what the hell...

So, it appears that cylinder number five is/was starved for oil. I have no choice but to continue the swap. (I really want to replace all the bearings and put the old motor back together).

Judging by the significant observable external differences between the '15 oil pan vs. the '11... it will be interesting to see the if BMW made significant changes in 2/2012 to alleviate the non-existent N55 "spun rod bearings" conspiracy theory when I drop the newer pan.

I know, I know, bbnks2: just because this happened to me and other forum members does not mean my N55 (manufactured in July 2010) is part of a BMW cover-up. At best my spun bearing is a coincidence. After all correlation is not definitive causation
Attached Images

Appreciate 0