View Single Post
      12-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #42
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

So far, not including heated Sport steering, reverse camera, F30 Msport wheels, tires, powder coating, power tools, etc. this BMW project car has cost me $6,200.94 + $500 shop fees, with labor on myself taking up my vacation days. All to fix up stuff that was eaten up by corrosion and 60k 9 years mileage.

That's more than half of what I paid for the car!

Planning to order Dinan camber plate kit for $140. Not sure how it will go at alignment once all said and done.
Front suspension arms are all torqued in. Eyeballed the approximate wheel hub position from pictures before (with busted strut dampers) and used a floor jack to position the hub for torquing down the control arm bushings.
Had to order replacement strut to spindle bolts since the original are rusted out really hard from salt. I'll clear coat the replacement before install.
Also ordered rear anti-sway bar links. Corrosion is worse in the rear compared to the front. Good thing I'm replacing most of the rear.

I have a plan to try and surround the rear sub frame M3 bushing tops with polyurethane. It will cut out even more flex in the rear without being harsh. Let's hope it will cure fast enough as I try to work the rear pieces.

ECS Tuning brass caliper slide pin bushings are in! They were easily pushed into the 335i aluminum front calipers. Because rebuilt calipers have bigger holes? I used the ECS Tuning install tool on the short ones. Long ones were pressed in with finger. Put in grease to keep moisture, road salt, etc out. I used Liquid film.
If you plan to powder coat the calipers, make sure to ask the shop to mask off the holes where brass bushings will go in. Extra thickness can mess up the bushings and the tight fitted pins from ECS Tuning will not go into deformed brass bushings.

OE pins require T50? To pull out and ECS Tuning pins use 7 mm hex to install. Put lube everywhere!

I like these over other brass bushings because the rubber rings keep the grease in and dust out. Pretty much maintenance free and not going to have stuck pins and pads on the brake after 10k miles.

I'll see if the brakes are consistent like my other car with 4 pot front brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Soravia; 12-17-2019 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0