View Single Post
      12-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
gillzj00
Rep
Drives: Metallic Brown

Doing it wrong?

Last night I took a candle out into the garage when I got home. Left the car running and blew it out under the hood near the PCV valve. I didn't see any smoking going into to the valve. It looks like there is a little cap on the end of the barbed PCV valve, do I need to remove that, if I remember right it is kind of clipped on there but moves freely?

The car wasn't squealing at that time but I seem to notice it when I am driving in a parking ramp and slowing down, I can hear a sound reflecting off the wall that sounds like the squeal I was hearing the other night. It only last 2-3 seconds.

I think I read that I could pull the oil cap off and put it back on and that would cause the engine to re-vacuum itself up and that might help me replicate the seal squealing.

I guess my question would be if the PCV valve seems fine, is it possible my rear main is just worn out? Would it be worth replacing the PCV with the new diaphragm as a cheap test?

Also, I have a good friend who is a Mercedes Benz Master Technician, should I ask him to do a smoke test for me or any other more technical diagnostic?

Thanks for all your help and responses guys, I know I am not an e90 guy so thanks for making me feel like family!

Just got home, pulled oil cap off and put back on after 30 seconds or so, no squealing. Pulled following Carly codes and got myself excited with a horror story about the 28A0 and their camshaft bearing caps were expanding and about to fail?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=977220)

2 codes found:

28A0 - Throttle valve opening angle-intake pipe absolute pressure, comparision pressure too high

2775 - Air mass plausibility: air mass too low.

Last edited by gillzj00; 12-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Updating story
Appreciate 0