05-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
I don't have an N55 or an E90 (but I have a lot of track time in another "less than ideal" track car - N54 E82) so take it for what it's worth:

Regarding the Sell vs Keep question:
With a brand new motor, I suspect the resale value of your car will never be higher than it is now.

Regarding HPDE prep:
Change your brake fluid to something track-appropriate, Motul 600 perhaps.
An oil change wouldn't hurt if you're coming up on 5000 miles.
Unless your pads are on the way out already, I would leave them be. They will be fine if it's your first time on track. Will you have an instructor?

Assorted ramblings:
The E46 and E90 M3 aren't without their share of problems. And the 987 Cayman did have IMS bearing issues - I won't get hysterical about the failure rate, it wasn't as common as the horror stories would have you believe but it should be part of the decision-making process.

My 135i is now a dedicated track car because of exactly what you are going through. I upgraded it little by little after starting out HPDE's with a completely stock car. At a certain point I felt like I'd take such a loss by getting rid of it that I stayed the course.

I like having something a bit "unique" as opposed to the hundreds of S2000's, Miata's, E46 M3's and Corvettes, all of which are probably better suited for this purpose. But the car is -mine-, which is worth more to some people than others.

Maybe it would be worth doing an HPDE with the car and then make a decision on Sell vs Keep?
Thank you for the informative response. I am not opposed to doing a HPDE with the car as it is now. Though, after owning the car for a while now and putting almost 30k miles on it, I have a pretty good impression of where the weaknesses are (brakes, cooling, engine consistency, reliability, stability). Considering I have exposed those weaknesses with simple spirited street driving, I am worried they're going to be a headache once on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Problem is once you start DE you will get hooked, and spend more on the car as you get faster lol. For now I’d stick to maintenance, hi temp brake fluid, and helmet. Once you feel the brakes starting to fade, pick up some PFC 08 or 11’s. If you think you’re carrying serious speed and want to up the safety, look into a HANS and Quickfits.

Fight the urge to go all-in and when you get to the point where you’re considering seat, cage, etc then think about what your ultimate goals are (i.e. DE stud, time trial or w2w). Nothing worse than trying to get a fully modded street car in a competition category that doesn’t exist so you spend even more money taking mods off.
I have done a few small events here and there with my M coupe, but time and money was the limiting factor. I am already hooked, and now I don't have as many limiting factors as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
It's the unpopular opinion but I think it's best to do a track oriented pad for the first day. Something that warms relatively quick. Stock pads love to leave deposits and judder SUCKS, that was my first day experience.
With stock pads and Stoptech drilled rotors in the front/OEM rotors rear, I start to get brake judder pretty quickly with spirited driving. That is even with trying to drive cautiously and smoothly with as little hard braking as possible. I guess it doesn't help that the car is making a lot more power than stock. Still, the stock brakes are not very confident inspiring regardless, especially when compared to the E46 M3 CSL brakes that the M coupe had.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0