01-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

Exclamation Advice needed please - 2011 320d timing chain

Evening all,

The 320d has just been into BMW for diagnosis on the 'knocking noise' heard when idle revving and in gear under load as per my previous post. On thier Injector Leak-off test they believe it's injector #1 at faulty as is causing something called "diesel knock". So I am happy that that explains the knocking I suppose, and I can carry-on not worrying about a potentially expensive Bottom End issue.

However, they have picked-up something else and this is where I need the member advice please.... The technician also noticed a "loud timing-chain noise" and in his own words 'doesnt expect it to last that much longer so it needs to be sorted sooner rather than later'....WTF!!???

So my question here is, where does everyone think I stand with this? The car is barely 8 years old and now sits on 105,000 miles, with a Full BMW Service History.

I am led to believe that sometime in 2009/2010 BMW were forced to recall all units with the N47 engine with suspect chain issues, due to mounting complaints from owners whose chains had snapped rendering the car unusable. I think even some went to court to claim compensation from BMW for their repair and replacement costs. It was being cited that the engine was poorly designed in that the chain was situated at the back of the engine which was a strong indication that BMW expected the chain to last the lifetime of the car, which of course for those unlucky owners; it didnt!

Then in 2010, a subsequent redesign was supposed to eliminate the issue completely. But as you can see, my 2011 is affected.

The dealer is kindly going to speak to his in-house Warranty rep tommorow to seek advice on what they can offer next, with a view to speak to BMW HQ.

Therefore, is there anyone on here who has/had a 320d (or any other model for that matter with this infamous N47) in similar age, mileage and condition that's had to go through this with BMW, who would be kind enough and willing to offer some advice and guidance on how they dealt with BMW on this?

The dealer has quoted in excess of £2000 to do the job, which I really dont think i should be forking out for. In fact its making me feel quite sick thinking about it

much appreciated in advance

Jakey.
Appreciate 0