Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I think many people are completely missing the point. Do you think BMW is going struggle to sell these? Doubt it...

Anyone in this thread who has actually driven a new X5M, X6M, or the M5 knows they’re undeniable. What makes them so appealing is that SUVs and luxury mid-size sedans aren’t supposed to be able to do the things they can do. They’re insane. You can talk all you want about curb weight, practicality, etc... but until you’ve driven even the lowly pleb non-CS, non-Competition M5, I would reserve judgement.

You guys are right: most people who buy these probably aren’t tracking them. You know why? Because they have that fuck-you money and can afford to buy a dedicated track car.

This discussion made me think of a guy I sold an M6 Gran Coupe to many years ago. Guess why he wanted it? None of his other cars—one of which was a brand-new 911 GT3–was practical for daily driving.
I don't have any interest in "doing the things an X5M can do" in something like an X5M. I don't have "fuck you" money, and thus I find them completely and utterly pointless. If I want to go fast (enough), it is going to be in something about half the weight and a quarter the power for a tenth of the expense.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50