07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #202
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
IMO, the difference between retrofitting the new iDrive and the new GSM TCU is that the GSM TCU is more intrusive/inclusive than the CDMA TCU from the point of view of the iDrive. The Google Search and the Stocks/Gas Prices/Weather display features of the new iDrive are possible thru the GSM TCU by just subscribing to the Convenience Plan. No coding/trip to the dealer is required, you pay $200 right now and within minutes you got all those features in your MY2009 iDrive screen.

The CDMA TCU -as far as I know- does not send any interactive display to the iDrive other than its basic data.

Then there's the issue of a possible change of iDrive/GSM TCU coding between 03/08 and 04/08 production, when the CDMA TCU was replaced by the GSM version. The new iDrive controller that I retrofitted in the "old" iDrive without any issues into my 05/08 production M3 is not working at all in pre-04/08 production M3: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280901

However, in the same thread there is an Australian 09/07 production M3 that the same new iDrive controller worked without any issues with the "old" iDrive... the difference is that its TCU is GSM -it has never been CDMA outside the USA.

Thus, I assuming that there must be some markedly different software running between the GSM TCU/"old" iDrive and the CDMA TCU/"old" iDrive that doesn't even allow the new controller to be backwards compatible. So swapping TCUs not necessarily would have to follow my theory of the Vehicle Order supporting a swap of iDrive components as some other coding will be required.
This is a good point. We won't know until someone tries. That said, I'm not yet convinced that the controller not working wasn't due to a SOFTWARE mismatch and not hardware. I am only aware of one person that tried it with a pre 4/08 iDrive (and said it didn't work). It is possible that it is simply because he had old software that didn't understand the signals from the system, not necessarily a hardware change. It may be that it worked on yours simply by virtue of the fact that you have newer software as a result of the newer hardware. Tough to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
My build date is Feb-2008, US model. This was going to be my plan of attack.
1A. Purchase the GSM TCU and install it with the old iDrive. Confirm that it works with BMW Assist.
1B. Enable the Online BMW and Connected Drive features through vehicle coding. I think I have the equipment to do this from Bavarian Technic. At least, that's my hope. If not, I know somebody with AutoLogic.
2. Install the new iDrive controller. Confirm that it works with the new TCU and iDrive.
3. Install the new CiC 09 iDrive.

I'm not terribly worried about the USB connectivity of the CiC because that's not a deal-killer for me. I don't understand why you tried to go to Tyco or Molex to purchase the connector, when it has a BMW part number and it would appear you could just pay the $30 and buy it directly from BMW.
Theoretically, that will work, assuming you can code it. To my knowledge, the BT tool will NOT do this, and I doubt the Autologic will either, without some special scripting, but maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I forgot to mention, there's apparently four different GSM TCU's. Two are labeled GSM-US and the other two simply GSM. I'm not sure what the differences may be.

GSM/US - 84109181276
GSM/US - 84109193856
GSM - 84109206422
GSM - 84109216364

Regarding the USB connector, you're saying this part number '61133333333' is a Tyco part number not a BMW part number -- correct? Why would it appear in the BMW catalog and have a price as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That "P/N" is a generic code (plug housing on request) to order a particular connector, and is used jointly with the P/N of the original part which this connector plugs in when ordered. You can notice that the same "61133333333" is shown in different connector applications.

The OEM amp connector that I'm talking about is the male connector at the amp itself, not the female connector at the car audio harness. That's the reason that there is no BMW P/N for it as this is part of the OEM amp itself, so I have to contact Tyco directly as the P/N printed is from them. BMW does not sell individual parts of this OEM amp.

I would say that the TCU that applies to us is the GSM/US, not because it just says so but it looks that Canadian TCUs are managed by a different cell carrier than the USA. My TCU label says GSM/US...
If there's any way it will work, it will be with the GSM/US one. If you're saying your US car came with a GSM/US TCU installed from the factory, then there is good hope for us.

Having said all of that, the real question is how the TCU comes. Does it come with a SIM card? Is it activated? Does BMW need to associate it to your account? All of those things are important. Coding it to the car shouldn't be hard, it's getting BMW to associate it to your vehicle that I'm unsure about. It may just be that it comes activated and talks to the BMW server with it's VIN, in which case it's likely nothing would need to be done. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Trial and error is the only good way to figure this out...