Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
I designed the Helix FMIC...

Core Design-
Prior to this stepped core design you had the option to either go Taller or thicker with the cores. In my design process I measured the captive areas in the front of the bumper in both depth and height and went about designing an intercooler that took up all of this area, yet still retained the all important seal to the back of the fan shroud so the radiator fan could still draw ambient air through the core. The end result is an intercooler with 56% more frontal area as well as core volume. now about the core I was not constrained to an off the shelf core in regards to ambient and internal fin count as we custom spec'd the core to this application the core in the helix FMIC is a single unit stacked up to our specifications in regards to ambient and charge row height and internal and external fin count. since our core has more volume I could increase the internal fin count to remove more temperature and still meet the targeted air flow and pressure drop for this application. as you see by the AIT data logs the intercooler works amazingly well

Endank design- all endtanks are not created equally, air likes to flow in a smooth curved radius as you can see the Helix FMIC has rounded endtanks that are cast. Another thing you will noticie is we opted not to utilize the factory O-ring connectors even though we could have easily implemented them in this design. Our reasoning was simple the factory connectors are THE flow restriction in the charge side as they shrink down to less than 2 inches in diameter at the inlet and outlet.
Thanks. This info helps a lot.
Appreciate 0