05-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #33
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603
After reading your very well written post its seems that the point of contention for you is the "uninformed factor". You see these things pop up on the dash and you have no idea whether its a serious thing or a minor thing that just looks serious on your dash.

That being said these really are great cars but they can scare you when things like this pop up and if you don't know what it is it definitely can be scary. This is by design, they want you to feel this way so you just bring it to the dealer and say "fix it".

That being said if you want to own a used BMW you need to do some research, post questions on the forums, search google and find out what problem you are actually having.

The car lift icon, just a rotating mileage counter suggesting when to bring a car in for tune up. These can be rest by you, I do it all the time (no i-drive so just use blinker stalk).

The brake icon, just relates to your brake pad wear sensor. Even after this sensor is toast you should still have plenty of pad and rotor left to finish the weekend and plan for a replacement, which an indy shop with aftermarket parts could do for a few hundred bucks and you are good for another 50k miles. Heck, most cars dont even have brake pad wear sensors!!!! Most people just wait till they hear an awful screeching sound to replace brakes.

The Leak, thats bs that shouldve been under warranty but nonetheless cars will leak from time to time, just replace the gasket and your good for another 50k+ miles.

The Grinding Sound, thats strange could be a variety of things, maybe wheel bearings? Pretty low mileage for that though.

Basically what I'm getting to is it seems you had some normal problems that really weren't that big of a deal (bulb, brakes, leak, all things cars in general will have regardless) .... as well as some individual problems to YOUR car. That is, the unreported accident and supposed rare ARS Block issue.

Don't rule out BMW just because the individual problems you have and your best bet is to chalk it up to the luck of the draw on the car that you bought. If you really like the BMW that much but dont want to pay an arm an a leg in reparis then buy a 330i or 325i without a turbo (dont even want to go down that road, basically not for the faint of heart lol). You will get the handling you seemed to like, not as much power but still a good amount, and the sport/luxury combo.

Hope this helps and sorry to hear about your first bmw turmoil!

Edit: This post is from 2013!!!! LMAO. After reading you post I just had to post an answer right away while it was still fresh in my mind. Needless to say I just read the replies, Glad to hear you got into a F30 shortly after and now have an E92!! Did you stick with 335i or go 328i?
Thanks, both the f30 and the e92 are 328i. This time I was more careful about the year and mileage .

Will probably go back to 335i again but it will be new.