View Single Post
      03-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #41
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Interesting, would love to see what data you come up with. As you already mentioned, lowering your car a bit more would seem to benefit as well, but obviously without over-lowering. Also, have you thought about bringing the side fences in a bit? Just throwing ideas out there... is there a lot of turbulence that gets caught up around the wheels and would bringing the fences to the inside edge of the tire create more of a tunnel?
Yep, lowering the car helps a LOT. Even on a stock car, lowering down 1.5" or more can definitely reduce the lift and drag.

Funny you mention bringing in the side skirts- as that is currently the plan for next weekend In addition to trying that, I'm also going to build 'fences' on the edge of the exhaust/driveshaft tunnel, with it coming to a V around the rear of the engine. That way, hopefully the incoming air will flow around the tunnel as opposed to going through it and creating turbulence in that specific area.

The rear subfram area of the stock E90 has a LOT of turbulence. I wouldn't say that it is a shocking/unexpected amount, but it certainly is undesirable. At 80mph, we were seeing average fluctuations of .2-.3 inh2o everywhere from the rear bumper 1 foot in front of the rear subframe. I had data points up in the control arm 'pockets' of the stock E90 and saw multiple spikes up to .5 due to overpasses and large bumps. On my car there is practically zero turbulence on the diffuser

Last edited by BrianMN; 03-18-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0